Image (most likely Minnesota and Western Canada Assn. Regatta - 1909) from a collection of Upper Mississippi Photos. Gift from Mr. N. P. Langford Jr. to the Minnesota Historical Society 1944. 

June 30, 2017

In early 1874, the men of the Minnesota Boat Club finally abandoned the floating boathouse that they had moored to the foot of the Robert Street Bridge and moved into a new boathouse on Raspberry Island[1], an exceptional location with many advantages. Raspberry Island was convenient to downtown St. Paul, accessible via a short walk over the Wabasha Street Bridge. It was undeveloped and natural, with plenty of mature shade trees, offering an escape from the dust and commotion of the city. It was seen as an oasis, one that could be further transformed into something magical, which it frequently would be in the years to come, for celebrations and exclusive moonlit parties.

By 1874, MBC was positioned to be a highly competitive rowing club. Its active membership had almost quadrupled since its founding, it had 18 boats in its inventory[2], and the men were rowing and training out of a new boathouse. Everything under its control was at potential...

Please reload

Rowing in Minnesota

History and Photography

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon